Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cancer Free, Over Forty and Fabulous!



Cancer Free, Over Forty and Fabulous
By: Christy Seguin


Yes, I am forty-one years old as of February 7, 2010.  Not only am I NOT ashamed of my age, I am very proud of it!  I know I look great, and that I am in the best shape of my life--physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.   It is my heart's desire to be a positive role model and to show everyone that it is absolutely possible to be the best You that you have ever been at any age.

A little about my personal story is that years ago doctors thought I had cancer, but came to find that I didn't and instead had a bunch of tumors. I did have a hysterectomy to remove 7 large tumors, one the size of a grapefruit that was crushing my bladder & causing all kinds of problems.  And I had a large tumor/growth/whatever you want to call it--in the back of my throat that disappeared with the raw foods, but it was not cancerous.  I have been very fortunate from that standpoint!

I didn't want medical treatment per se and so sought out a much more natural approach for therapy. The doctor who I sought out, who was both an M.D. and N.D., helped me and others create an environment in their bodies which actually REVERSES cancer... With an 80%+ success rate!  As you know, nothing can 'cure' anything--it will come right back if the person starts back in the same habits that created the friendly environment for the disease anyway.  He has literally taken on cases of people in hospice--the medical community had given up & left them to die--and he was able to reverse their cancer and they returned to a somewhat normal life.  Unfortunately, he has "disappeared"(probably chased out by the FDA and AMA), which kills me.  I give thanks daily that he was brought into my life!  He suggested an 85% raw food protocol, with cooked beans and some other 'acceptable' cooked foods.  My body doesn't like cooked beans much at all, so I gravitated to all raw over time.  It was just easier, tasted better, and I feel amazing!

In late 2008, I set a goal of competing in Figure competitions in 2009, and winning a small 'natural' show.  It didn't occur to me at the time that I could achieve a physique worthy of standing on stage with the best of the best in the NPC--the 'big' division that is like the minor leagues to the Major League of the IFBB, to use a baseball analogy.  The IFBB is the International Federation of Body Building, and was founded by none other than the amazing incredible Joe Weider.

I was blessed to meet an amazing trainer and coach, Shannon Dey of Team Bombshell, at one of my early competitions.  I was not doing as well as I had hoped, although I was placing.  I needed help, guidance, and expert coaching.  Meeting Shannon was a Godsend.  She and her husband Rob are recognized nationally as one of the top elite trainers of fitness, figure, and bikini competitors.

The protocol I followed until I started working with my coaches was at least 90% raw vegan.  Certain foods I can't do raw--broccoli tears me up, for example. I have to steam it a bit.  Other than the (very) occasional sushi, I didn't eat any meat for two years.  Then when I read The Primal Diet, I felt much better about using animal products and incorporated the raw eggs & sushi.  I ate mainly green smoothies, nut pates, lots of raw desserts!  :)  I made a lot of 'gourmet' type things.  I created a raw Mexican Quiche for example that is divine.  I really like blended foods, so most of meals were blended in one way or another.  Lots of salads loaded with nuts & veggies.  And I am absolutely famous for my killer guacamole, which is an antioxidant cocktail, and my husband and I can go through a large bowl of that every day.  I had a lot of fun creating amazing foods!  I miss all that, but unfortunately it doesn't work with contest prep.  I did create some pretty cool recipes for the two contests that I did while I was still raw vegan--mostly Sun Warrior smoothies, lots of spirulina, lots of salads, my avocado 'Muscle Mousse', etc.


I started working with my coaches, and their workout strategy, along with a restructuring of my diet plan, made an amazing difference.  In just a couple months, I gained several pounds of muscle while dropping tremendous bodyfat, and WON my first NPC show--a big Level 5 Regional.  That win qualified me for the National Championships, and with only 4 weeks further preparation, I competed at Nationals and placed 12th!

I was thrilled, and am now more motivated than ever.  With the expert guidance of Team Bombshell, my goal for 2010 is to WIN an NPC National show and earn my IFBB Pro Card.  I want to stand on stage as the only known 'raw foodist' competitor, as an example of what is achievable through whole, natural living foods that nourish and cleanse the body, as well as make it strong and beautiful.  The power of raw foods has been so evident in my training and physique transformation.  Along with the proper exercise techniques, living foods will transform your body!

Discovering the living foods lifestyle has been the biggest blessing I can possibly imagine.  The worlds it has opened up to me are so expansive.  I have seen so many blessings in my life, starting with the physical--a tumor disappearing, no colds or flu for over three years now, greater strength and endurance, much less joint pain, much lovelier skin & hair, more muscle, less bodyfat, etc, etc.


Then there is the spiritual and mental component.  I feel more at peace, less stressed, more in tune with the earth and all its living creatures.  I am able to love more fully and completely, and to give more of myself to others, as I have so much more energy that I have plenty left over!  This is all totally subjective.  I can't quantify it or prove it to you in some scientific manner, but I just know that I have never felt happier and more alive.

Christy is an amazing woman... hands down. I really enjoy having the privilege to interview and chat with her.  For more info on Christy Seguin and to see all her great photos, recipes, and more visit her website here: Defiant-Health.com

No comments: