Thursday, July 30, 2009

My Current Lifestyle: Vegetarian, Vegan, Omnivore, Paleolithic, What Is It?

After speaking with a couple peeps recently they noticed that I have changed my eating over the past few months and asked that I briefly paint a picture for your regarding my lifestyle. Oh and the pic to your left is the exact conversation we had. I'm glad someone captured it on film.

So between the spit in the eyes and deafening volume I was able to get a couple words out edge wise. Here's what I said: I advocate wholeheartedly the elimination of any and all grains from one's diet and replace that with an eating lifestyle that is high in healthy fats. Healthy fats will never directly make you fat. That is misleading propaganda from the food industry to sell more grains. Think about this logically for a moment: If eating low fat, and thus replacing the fat with their great marketing campaign to sell "whole grains", actually makes people healthy then why are there more overweight/obese people than ever as well as more cases of diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.? I think there needs to be a paradigm shift in our nutrition. Eat low to no grains and have at least 50%, if not more, of your food be from healthy fats. Watch your body fat drop so fast. Ok so yes my rant here was for a purpose. Isn't it always? Ha!

So here's a little run down on what my eating lifestyle has evolved to: I do not eat any animal source of food except wild caught fish, organic whole eggs, and cook only with Virgin (unrefined) Coconut Oil, which is a medium chain fatty acid. From time to time I may have a little bit of raw dairy, but that's not very often. Raw (unpasteurized) dairy is the only dairy I will ever consume since it is still alive and filled with nutrients and enzymes.

I used to eat A LOT of animal fats. I would go through a pint of organic Greek full-fat yogurt daily as well as bricks and bricks of raw cheese and gallons of raw full-fat organic milk from grass-fed cows on a weekly basis. I cut them all out months ago when I decided to try a much more vegetarian and on most days actually a vegan based diet.


I also intermediate fast 18-20 hours every day, have for years, eating only one meal that's staggered in the evening that starts and ends with "colors" (vegetables and fruits). My brief thoughts on meal timing is this: what would primal people do? They wouldn't have gum to chew, or graze on foods during the day. They had to hunt & gather their daily meal. There wasn't a refrigerator for shelf life storage. They didn't eat until they retrieved it all & then prepared it. That was in the evening. That's why I eat the way I eat and when I eat.

I also exercise 5-6 days (kettlebell & bodyweight GPP training personally and within my Kettlebell Boot Camp) a week during my fast in order to maximize the glucagon fat burning experience alongside the estrogen & insulin suppression and testosterone & GH increase.

My fat sources mainly come from unrefined virgin coconut oil, avocados, nuts and seeds; however I will be eliminating the seeds for a while since their fat is primarily omega-6 which causes a pro-inflammatory response in the body. I need to get my inflammation rebalanced from a few lingering injuries. I do not have celiac disease, but do have an intolerance to gluten that took me 18 years to finally realize. I'm glad I did cause I have never felt better. I have recently cut out all grains from my diet whatsoever.

After much thought and ongoing research I am not convinced to restrict my eating to that of vegan, but moreover create a balanced Paleo lifestyle that provides its benefits married to that of vegetarian as much as possible. Sounds goofy I know, but I will make it happen. I'm a freak like that.

Here's a quick cooking video I did with my lovely wife Lisa and "Julia Childs" giving you a great vegetarian meal that's so easy, inexpensive, and quick to prepare. Enjoy!

No comments: