Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Liberate Yourself From The Four Walls

One of the biggest hurdles I have to overcome as a trainer is making people believe that the things that we do are not only good for them, but also possible for them to take the necessary steps to get them where they want to be. It is said that a good coach is someone who makes people do what they do not want to do so that they might become who they've always wanted to be. People seem to tightly cling to their habits like a security blankie. The thought wedge that must be driven between them, and rip that blanky right out of their tightly clenched sweaty hands, is that "force of habit isn't a good reason to do anything unless it's directly benefiting you."

I have been fortunate enough, over the years, to have had several clients who have been capable of going to the extra mile and achieve the next level. These were never easy roads and much of what they were doing before (Smith Machine, leg press, bench, curls, pec dec, 45-60 min of this or that) had to have been weened off like a kid and his blankie, but in the end what turned out was a much, much more functional, leaner, and stronger person.

I know, I know... it's hard to let go of the beloved pec deck, and the preacher curls, I know. I mean, come on, it sounds pretty cool doesn't it?! Preacher curl! Yeah! Heck yeah!! Who is this preacher and where is his church? I want to attend services immediately. Pec deck! Rock On! Get me on that thing, I want big pecs too! Ummmm.... OKAAAAY...

Then, after a few weeks the light bulb turns on and the equation becomes impossible to ignore. In a short time on the Kettlebells you have become much stronger, leaner, and better conditioned. You just feel like everything is working so much better. Going back to the unforgotten pec dec- when you think I'm not looking- becomes a hum drum experience, but you can't help it, it's force of habit. I mean, everyone else is doing it right?!  Hmmm...

Sometimes there is fresh air and I get someone begins training with me who has been doing jerks, hindu push ups, cleans, presses, sprints, and burpees. In that case I can leave the can of WD40 and not pry any blankies (aka bad habits). More often than not though, the canvas must be cleansed so that we can start fresh.

In either case of a newbie or a somewhat seasoned client there are always certain things to overcome. Exercise, strength training, cardio conditioning, kettlebell training, GPP training, etc. should never be about ego. Throw that out the door when you come in because we are all here for the same thing- to better ourselves despite what the next guy can bench or squat. That doesn't matter whatsoever.  So leave the ego and hopefully one day you'll recognize when you're all healthy, lean, and strong that yeah, this little dude with the bald head seems know what he's talking about. It's never about ego.

It's not just about the kettlebells either. They are a means to an end. I use them because, based off of everything I have ever worked with regarding fitness and training tools, they are the best tool I have found to get the job done.  Keep in mind that it is JUST tool. There are other tools such as barbells, dumbbells, sandbags, kitchen sinks, kegs, big tractor tires, Indian Clubs, Sloshpipes, ropes, chains, bands, stones, etc.  You simply must choose the right tool for the job when fitness training and I'll use them all if that'll help get my clients and you more fit.

If you wanted to drive nails into a board you wouldn't go at it with pliers.  If you did it would probably move a little bit, but would move much better with a hammer.  The same is true for other fitness movements.  You can use many tools to perform the task, movement, exercise, etc., but only one tool is the best.  I prefer the Kettlebell.  

My goal is to liberate myself- and as many people as I can to come with me- from the four walled, stink, sweaty, meat market, closed in, machine based confines of the modern gyms. Be encouraged- do the same! Just because it's modern doesn't make it better. It simply means they are getting better and better at putting things inside the four walls that attract the public to toss more money at them. What did people do before these gyms? Actually they did a lot.

I'm going to be writing more and more about how you can liberate yourself from the four walls. In the mean time watch my intro video below and look forward to my upcoming articles.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Bob! I've got to keep visiting your blog more often. Good stuff on there! Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Great post, Bob! I've got to keep visiting your blog more often. Good stuff on there! Keep it up!

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Thanks Jana-

You are always welcome here. :)

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Oh and Jana,

I have a potential client for you. One of my Kettlebell Kampers has a friend who lives in Tucson and wants to work with kettlebells. I told him to tell her to go to SWAT. I wouldn't send them anywhere else in Tucson. You are the place. :)

I'll try to get more details to give you so you can contact her.

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT, Bob!
Totally tweeting about your series of posts!

Yours in Health,
Sarah

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Thanks Sarah! I've got part 3 warming up and uploading as we speak.

Tweet away! :)