Friday, May 15, 2009

Don't Eat Before Your Workouts

A lot of people believe they need to have something to eat or drink a big 'ol can of sugarized Monster before a workout for energy. Ultimately you don't need anything prior to exercise, training, or competition- Post absolutely, but rarely to never before  a workout. You'll have a much better workout energy wise, hormonally, and recovery wise by doing so without consuming food.

Your body does NOT NEED food during the day and especially before a workout. It needs hydration. Most people cannot distinguish between being hungry and being thirsty.

If you are getting light headed, dizzy, feeling weak during your workouts I firmly believe you are not eating what your body NEEDS as well as enough of what it NEEDS in the evening as well as post workout.

It is vital for overall recovery to consume a post workout meal or drink a post workout smoothie. Then when it's time to eat your evening meal do so with the balance of the right foods that will provide you energy for the following day. When we eat at night we don't really eat for the day we are in, but moreover the next day.

Additionally when I've taught and attended my training classes, fitness workshops, kettlebell workshops, IKFF certifications workshops (that are from 9am-6pm) I am very, very active in these workshops in that I perform many various exercises, workouts, and multiple long timed sets of kettlebell movements such as 10 minute Long Cycle (clean and jerk) or 8+ minute Snatch sets without ever eating until the evening. Based upon experience I have to disagree that eating prior to exercise is not actually needed

The KEY is water. What I am stating is the daytime food intake is just not NEEDED. If you feel weak or low on energy, as long as you have acclimated yourself to Intermediate Fasting, your body actually requires more water. Just to give you an idea: I drink, on average, about a gallon and a half every day no matter what. When I am in my workshops I drink an extra gallon. I am very, very energized and actually find that the participants are the ones snacking in between sets on protein shakes, bars, apples, bananas, etc. as well as eating lunch and they are feeling sluggish and experience decreased performance. They eat like that because they believe they need it due to the high calorie burnage and muscle work. Again- I do not have a crumb of anything during the day until my evening meal. The ONLY exception is during my personal workouts. Because I go very, very hard I have a good post workout recovery smoothie within 30 minutes afterward.

My smoothie usually consists of a 2 cups of water, cup of fresh pineapple, 3 strawberries or some mango, 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil, and 4-5 raw eggs. Blend everything except the eggs well and then add the eggs to blend for no more than 2 seconds. The egg protein is very fragile and can only withstand so much beating from the blades. After that down the hatch. This is an extremely powerful post workout recovery smoothie. Sometimes I change the eggs for raw milk and skip adding the water to have the milk be my protein source.

I firmly believe, and recommend to you as I do to every one of my clients, to follow these methods and you will have a very high level of recovery and performance. In order to experience the full benefits of leanness, an overall healthy body, and fast recovery you will need to practice the complete Intermediate Fasting Protocol. If you are not informed or confident about how to follow this please ask and I will support you in your lifestyle transition. Once you acclimate to IF you will never understand how you did it any other way.

5 comments:

Jordan said...

Im not big on breakfast and i seem to eat lunch, simply just because... so I am interested in knowing about the fasting that you do. :)
(you know its me Jordan Seales, on FB)
Thanks for all the info you post, i find it very interesting! keep it coming!

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Thanks Jordan! I will definitely keep 'em comin. :)

What else would you like to know exactly?

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have more info on Intermediate Fasting, which I had never heard of before this post. Thank you!

Bob Garon II, Synergy Kettlebell Training said...

Hey Jeff nice to make your acquaintance-

I actually have posted quite a bit about it. See some of my other articles about it here:

1. http://bobgarontraining.com/2009/01/nocturnal-eaters-bravo_26.html

2. http://bobgarontraining.com/2009/02/to-live-longer-fast-stronger.html

3. http://bobgarontraining.com/2009/03/rules-of-eating-healthy-to-be-healthy.html

4. http://bobgarontraining.com/2009/04/high-fat-eating-menu.html

5. http://bobgarontraining.com/2009/04/for-fat-or-for-fuel-what-is-food-used.html

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bob!

Hey, thanks for the links.

Keep up the great work!