Friday, December 19, 2008

Power of 3

The past 3 workouts have been great progress and I'm feeling stronger every day.  That's the point and so in reflecting on the past 4 weeks since I started my Master of Sport training I am very happy with the direction it's going.  Consistency leads to success and success is always connected to progress.  Any progress is good progress.  Consistency in repeated practice is always the key.

Workout 121608:
3 Min. Long Cycle @ 2 24kg and 6rpm


Then:
10 Min. OALC @ 24kg and 8rpm


Then:
3 Min. Jerks @ 2 20kg and 8rpm


Then:
10 Min. OAJ @ 20kg and 8rpm

I took video of this workout and will post it after I edit everything.

______________________________________________
Workout 121708:
6 Min. OALC @ 32kg and 6rpm


Then:
4Min. OAJ @ 24kg and 16rpm


Then:
20 Min. Run

This felt good with the 32 except for my grip for some reason.  I rarely ever have grip issues, but today was the day.
______________________________________________
Workout 121908:
8 Min. OALC @ 24kg and 8rpm


Then:
4 Min. OALC @ 28kg and 8rpm


Then:
4 Min. OAJ @ 28kg and 8rpm
2 sets of that and then:
50x JS @ 115#
Guerrilla Sprints @ 7mph and 1% incline for the warmup and cooldown and then 12mph for the 20s intervals

I decided to use an intermediate (28kg) bell for some work today and it actually felt very good.  I think I'm gonna be doing more work with it since it's provides more intensity than the 24kg, but not so much of a blast like the 32kg gives.  I love how my body is acclimating very well to the 24kg so much so that it feels actually quite normal to pick it up and toss it around.  A few short months ago it was work, but now it's common place.  That is good news to me that my program is working.  Remember there is nothing fancy about what I do.  I keep everything simple, consistent, and constantly work very hard.  That is no secret.  The only secret is that basics work and don't steer very far away from them in whatever you do.

When I was wrestling I used to watch college and Olympic wrestling matches to see if I can find tricks from the best of the best to better my game.  I remember the first time watching this.  I was actually bored to death.  The reason is not because wrestling is boring- well at least not to me.  The truth of the matter is that it can be boring to watch top level wrestlers face off because they don't do anything fancy.  They pretty much only use the basics.  It is the battle of the bare essentials and whoever can catch their opponent quicker is usually the winner.  Much of it is mental as well, but what they do is fight for the best position by using the basic wrestling moves.  The one who comes out of top is the one who executes perfectly what he has done thousands and thousands and thousands of times before.  There is no secret to success in fitness.  It simply boils down to the raw.  Work the basics and practice them continually.

Get to the point where you're bored to death of it.  It is in those moments where the body will always be changing and getting stronger.  The people who abandon these moments of boredom in their programs are the ones who rarely if ever experience optimal results.  In today's day and age the attention span of most folks is way too short.  They get their "A.D.D." moments and then try to excuse that for why they must keep entertained in the gym.  That's funny!  Exercise entertainment... LOL!!!

Ok I'll end with a thought.

"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." - Lao Tzu

Too many people give in to what their body wants.  Why not make your body do what you want it to do.  It's too hard?  Well tough!  Do it anyway!  Maybe you'll feel better and experience great results in both health and fitness.  Maybe you'll be more successful in other areas of your life because you get mentally stronger each time you persevere against yourself.  The comfort zone must be left in order to progress in pretty much anything.  The body is a strange thing.  It can control us if we allow it and it can be used as a great tool if we learn how to control it.  The choice is entirely up to us.  We must decide who's in charge.

No comments: