Monday, December 8, 2008

Intergalactic Interdenominational Kettlebell Challenge

This weekend I had a change of pace for my workout.  Saturday was a special kettlebell challenge event called Intergalactic Interdenominational Kettlebell Challenge.  This was set up by Catherine Imes, Master of Sport, for all who desired to participate worldwide.  Essentially everyone would complete the challenge on the same day and same time, if they could, relative to their time zone.  The goal was to get the most gireviks tossin their bells around as we could all over the world.  I always want to be a part of a great thing so naturally I was on board with this idea.  I also wanted to do it to see how I would do and feel during and afterward.  The results were very good and I felt great.  Below I have listed the details of the event as prescribed.

Kettlebell Event (Not a Traditional G..S. Competition)
10 minute snatch set (SSST) -- Unlimited hand switches, set the bell down what ever you like, drop to the shoulder, whatever.
Immediately followed by:
10 minute One Arm Long Cycle (Clean and Jerk) set (UJT -- Unlimited hand switches, set the bell down whatever you like, etc.
No rest between events.
Use whatever bell you like, with the following guidelines:

Elite Men: 32 kg Elite Women: 20 kg Men: 24 kgWomen: 16 kg Beginner Men: 16 or 20 kg 
Beginner Women: 8 or 12 kg


This was a whole lot of fun.  I stuck with the Beginner since I didn't quite know what to expect and I am all about progressing these days.  I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize that and potentially injure myself when I am on a great track.  Also I very rarely do Snatches so I didn't know what was gonna happen there.

120608- Intergalactic Interdenominational Kettlebell Challenge
Workout:
10 Min. Snatch @ 16kg and 15rpm
I did not stop at all and did not set the bell down.  I did, however, decide to switch hands each time.


Then:
10 Min. One Arm Long Cycle @ 20kg and 10rpm
Again I did not stop at all and did not set the bell down.  I did, however, decide to switch hands each time.

No callouses- THANK GOD- were torn and afterward I felt very strong.  I want to perform this for fun in about a month again with the next size bells to see what happens. 






No comments: